bandeau Hero international

Living in Paris / Laval

Student VISA

All students should follow Campus France procedures to apply for a study visa: www.campusfrance.org. Campus France will assist you step by step. If you need further information about the visa procedure in your country, please have a look to the French legislation online.

Please note that the visa application process takes at least 3 working weeks, so your early action is encouraged. The necessary documents required to apply for the visa may differ from one country to another. However, your passport, proof of accommodation and official invitation letter from the school are always among the required documents.

  1. If you are a citizen of a European Union country: you normally do not need a visa to study in France unless you hold a special status of citizenship or residency of another non-European country.
  2. If you are a citizen from a non-European country: if you come to France for your studies lasting more than 3 months, you will be required to hold a French long-term study visa. To obtain this visa, follow the online procedures on the official French visas web site. 
    A French study VISA is required for Non-European Union citizens studying in Europe with a Schengen visa or other European Country residence Permit.
  3. Post Masters & visiting students only: The acceptance letter required for the visa will be sent as soon as you have paid your deposit or the full tuition fee for the program. This letter proves that you have indeed enrolled in the academic course and specifies the dates of the program during which you will be staying in France. 

There are three types of Student Visa, depending on the duration of studies in France, as indicated in the letter of enrolment.

Long-term visa VLS-TS

6-12 months / extensible / housing and work (20h/week)

Long-term visa VLS-T

with the words ‘dispense temporaire de carte de séjour’
4-12 months / non-renewable

Long-term visa

with the words 'carte de séjour à solliciter de l'arrivée'
issued for 2 months / within 2 months of arrival, you need to apply for your first residence permit



Comfortable housing close to the school will be a key success factor for your study abroad. We strongly recommend that you arrange housing prior to your arrival in France.

The International Department will assist you if necessary, with the help of the students from the International Student Union (BDEI).

ESTACA has partnered with 2 accommodation search platforms.

If you are a foreign student here for one semester, a Master or another reason on one of our campuses, ESTACA provides 2 platforms to help you prepare your arrival.

ImmoJeune can be used to find short-term rental accommodation with private landlords, agencies or student residences near one of our 2 campuses. A social wall dedicated to students of the ESTACA also allows to create colocations, to exchange furniture, or to organize car-pools. Free helping guides will answer all your questions about renting, housing help, colocation, rental guarantees, in addition to other tips and tricks. To see all offers, go to: https://estaca.immojeune.com/ and after your Admission, contact our Incoming Coordinator for the ESTACA access code.

You may also consult and rent accommodation from our students who are living abroad for a semester of study, exchange, Erasmus or internship. They publish their room or rental accommodation for the duration of their absence on the international exchange website HousingAnywherewww.HousingAnywhere.com.

Medical Care

European Students

Students from the European Union must provide their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to ESTACA International Department. Some students
with an EHIC do not need to complete any additional forms because they benefit from extended cover from their home country (depends on the type of EHIC).

Non-European Students

Besides providing your International travel insurance covering repatriation and civil liability, it’s preferable that you register for the French social security, especially if your program is for 1 year or longer. This will ensure you get reimbursed quickly if you have visited a doctor or paid for medical services in France. 


You can benefit from the French general healthcare system if you came to France with a VLS-TS visa. Registration is free of charge and can be easily completed online. Please register on the health insurance website for international students.
To be able to obtain a French Social Security number, make sure you upload all the necessary documents required in the registration process (ex: valid visa copy, birth certificate translated into French, housing proof, School Certificate/ESTACA acceptance letter etc.). After uploading the documents, you will receive a provisional number first, and shortly after, you can get a definitive one. This is not obligatory for European citizens or students who do not plan to stay in France for more than 1 year. Please note that it takes from 2 to 6 months to get a social security number from the day you complete your registration online. To increase the amount of healthcare expenses reimbursed, some international students prefer to take out additional complementary health insurance, or Mutuelle.

Citizens from Québec

Students from Quebec do not have to subscribe to the French Social Security but need to have the SE 401 Q 106 form.
Students will have to provide to our International Department a copy upon arrival.


All foreign students will have to provide to our International Department a copy of their civil liability insurance policy upon arrival.


In Paris, you will discover the life of the city, with its diversity and wonderful monuments: Le Louvre, Notre Dame, the Eiffel tour… But thanks to the students from the BDEI and to your ‘buddies’, you will also probably enjoy “Paris by night” and many other opportunities to have fun. There are also many activities to be discovered in Laval. Information is available from the Tourism Office, and also from the BDEI (Students’ Union). 


The International Relations Office at ESTACA (office 211 in SQY campus) is the primary contact for International Students. We are here to help you whatever doubts and questions you have regarding our campus or your programs.

International Office (SQY Campus)

Olha STEPANIUK – In Charge of International Incoming Mobility
 / +33 176 52 11 83